Skip to content

The Hyderabad Public School Begumpet

– History
– Flag & Emblem
– House System
– Uniform
– Buildings
– The Plane

History

Established on 29th November 1923 as the Jagirdars College in the erstwhile State of Hyderabad, at the initiative of Mr. H. Wakefield, the Court of Wards under the Nizam and it was then meant exclusively for the education of the sons of the Jagirdars. In its first year it had 5 students and 10 teachers. Set up on a beautiful 160 acre campus, parts of it adjoin the Begumpet Airport.
After the abolition of the Jagirdari/Zamindari system in 1950, the Indian Government decided that the Jagirdar’s College should be converted to an Independent Public School, thus throwing open its portals to all, irrespective of class or creed.

The Jagirdar’s College was reorganised in 1951 as The Hyderabad Public School and was affiliated as a member of the Indian Public Schools Conference (IPSC). In 1952, the Hyderabad Public School Society was formed with the Late Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, former President of India, as the first Chairman of the Society. Mr. John W. R. Kempe was appointed the first principal of the school.

Originally only for boys, today the The Hyderabad Public School Begumpet has 3000+ students (Boys and Girls) in classes (grades) 1-12. The school is affliated to the Council for the Indian School Certification Examinations (ICSE, ISC).

The House System

The entire student body is divided into four houses named after renowned and ancient Indian universities and empires. Initially, they only had two houses, the East and West Wings but today there are four:

Uniform

Boys must wear khaki shirts and khaki shorts (till the ninth standard) or khaki trousers (in senior school) with a black belt, khaki socks and black shoes.

Girls are required to wear cream-coloured blouses under an olive-green pinafore with an olive-green cloth belt and white socks in black school shoes.

Both boys and girls wera navy-blue shoulder-tabs with a stripe of their house colour across the tabs that completes their uniform.

Prefects are given stars and/or extra stripes and badges (2 inch by 1/2 inch gold-coloured eagles) each depending on their duties and are thus accoladed.

The boys’ Physical Education/games uniform consists of a white t-shirt with the eagle insignia (printed where the left breast-pocket would be) and shorts in the official house colour. Girls wear plain white button-down shirts and skirts coloured in their official house colour.

Important Buildings & Halls

The Shaheen Block
Named after the school emblem, houses Shaw Cross Hall (the senior school assembly hall) and Turner Library one of the best libraries , both named after principals of the Jagirdar’s College.
The Kuruvilla Jacob Block
Also called the Science block, this houses the majority of the senior school classrooms as well as the science and computer laboratories.
The John Kempe Block
Named after the first principal of the Hyderabad Public School, this houses most of the Primary school classrooms and the Primary school library.
The Purohit Block
Named after a former principal of the Hyderabad Public School, houses the remaining Primary school classrooms.
The Durand Block
Named after the second principal of the Jagirdar’s College, houses Middle school classrooms.

The Plane

The De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk trainer on display at the Hyderabad Public School.